The Health Information Management Specialist is responsible for processing and maintaining health information records in a manner consistent with the legal and regulatory requirements of the health care system. The Health Information Management Specialist ensures patients health information is correct, accurate and is accessible to clinical teams; providing superior customer service ensuring customers receive appropriate, timely, and accurate health information.
1. Ensure accurate, complete and organized health records are delivered to providers in a timely manner.
2. Responds to request for health information (both patients and medical personnel) and ensure information is released in accordance with regulatory requirements (e.g., HIPAA, Confidentiality) and Martin’s Point policies and procedures.
3. Ensure incoming mail is prioritized, scanned and routed to assigned recipient in a timely manner.
4. Turn around key athena inbox documents and forward on to appropriate recipient in a timely manner.
5. Provides appropriate labeling to all incoming documents in our electronic health record and forwards to appropriate party in a timely manner.
6. Ensure accurate and timely flow sheet entry of appropriate documents and lab values.
7. Archive and purge records periodically to ensure health records are properly stored when not active.
8. Provide assigned training to new staff to assist their orientation to health records management.
9. Foster an atmosphere of continuous improvement in order to maximize efficiency and team effectiveness
• High School Diploma or GED required
• Associate Degree preferred
• Previous Experience in Health Care/Health Information Management preferred
• Must be able to work flexible hours.
• Must be willing to travel to other sites when requested.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Windows Based Computer Skills: data entry and work processing ability
• Resiliency and ability to handle difficult conversations with patients and internal customers.
• Working Knowledge of Medical Terminology
• Ability to multitask among phone and face to face encounters despite frequent interruptions.
• Ability to analyze and problem solve in a win-win manner
• Detailed oriented with excellent follow up skills
• Ability to follow through on issues to conclusions
• Strong working knowledge of the health information management / medical records function, including release of information, storage, filing and confidentiality.
• Strong working knowledge of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
• Demonstrated ability to interact with all levels of staff and management.
• Ability to accomplish multiple priorities within specified timeframes.
• Ability to present a professional demeanor at all times.
BASE PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Code: N = Never O=Occasionally(<20%) F = Frequently(20%to80%) C = Constantly (>80%)
Exposure to Adverse Working Conditions:
Noise, Noxious Odors, Temperature O Hazardous Materials O
Potentially Threatening Abusive Clients O Communicable Diseases O
Close Eye/Hand Work (computers, typing, reading, writing) C
Sedentary (continuous sitting) C
Light Work (standing, walking, lifting < 15 pounds) F
Moderate Work (lifting, 15-30 pounds, prolonged use of small hand instruments) O
Moderately Heavy Work (lifting, moving, loading 31-50 pounds) N
Heavy/Hard Work (above average strength and stamina, lifting > 51 pounds) N
MPHC Core Competencies:
• Communication: Provides timely, concise, and audience appropriate information orally and/or in writing.
• Initiative: Proactively focuses efforts and energy on successfully attaining goals and objectives.
• Work Habits and Productivity: Able to maximize time to produce timely, quality results.
• Relationship with Others: Establishes and maintains constructive relationships.
• Teamwork: Collaborates with a variety of individuals to accomplish goals.
• Customer Focus: Demonstrates commitment to meeting the expectations of internal and external customers.