The Gathering Place (TGP), is a drop in day shelter with the mission of providing a safe, welcoming and comfortable space for people to gather in downtown Brunswick, offering our guests respect, encouragement, companionship and hope, is looking for an individual with a passion for our mission to fill its newly created, full-time, position of Community Navigator. This position is designed to provide direct support for TGP guests in a non-judgmental manner with respect and integrity. TGP's guests primarily include individuals experiencing homelessness, individuals who are isolated, poor and disadvantaged as well as other individuals seeking community. We predominantly serve the Greater Brunswick geographical area, encompassing Cumberland, Sagadahoc, and Androscoggin counties; the majority of our guests live in Brunswick, Bath, Topsham, Harpswell, and Bowdoinham but all are welcome.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Interview guests to determine eligibility for community resources and assist them in accessing appropriate interventions to meet their identified needs.
- Assist guests with successful navigation of the emergency assistance process with the goal of establishing self-sufficiency.
- Assist guests in their search for housing, including support with housing applications, and support guests in remaining housed.
- Assist guests with completing SSI/SSDI and other entitlement applications, employment linkage, and procuring necessary identification documents.
- Teach and model skills and strategies for increased independence including, but not limited to: setting up and attending appointments; budgeting and money management; payment of rent; successfully engaging with other professionals.
- Assist the Executive Director, as needed, in building and sustaining working relationships and communication with related service providers, community associations, municipalities, housing advocates and coalitions, faith-based organizations and churches, and similar agencies
- Assist The Gathering Place team of staff and volunteers by supporting the stability of its daily operations, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- A successful candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously in a high-pressure environment with little or no supervision and to successfully complete tasks independently and as part of a team,
- Ability to use good judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively respond to difficult situations and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to properly handle and maintain confidential information.
- Ability to work with diverse communities.
- Any combination of comparable education, work and life experience is welcome.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
TGP’s new Community Navigator will join a dedicated team of staff and volunteers and will graciously assist in daily operations as necessary whenever primary assignments permit. For more information please visit our website at www.brunswickgatheringplace.org. Interested candidates will submit a letter of interest and resume to Mary Connolly, Executive Director, no later than 1/29/2021. All finalists will be asked to complete an application form and provide references after interviews.