Provides prophylaxis for patients in order to prevent serious dental health issues and disease. They are to explain proper oral hygiene to patients from brushing, flossing and over the counter fluoride to recommendations of bi-annual cleanings. They also explain the connection between nutrition and dental hygiene to promote healthy eating habits and explain the harms to tobacco and tobacco products to their patients. They examine the teeth and mouth for disease and other problems and will communicate findings with overseeing the dentist and properly refer patients as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Keep accurate records of patient current medical history and current treatment.
- Sterilizations of instruments, room and surrounding work areas.
- Sterilization of instruments, treatment room and surrounding work areas.
- Administers fluoride and fluoride varnish.
- Take impressions as needed.
- Place sealants.
- Patient education.
- Communication with both patient and overseeing dentist of treatment plan.
- Take x-rays as needed.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Maintain a list of dental supplies that need to be ordered.
- Refer patient as needed (orthodontist, periodontist, endodontis and oral surgeon).
- Set up appointments with dentist and 6 month recare appointment.
- Utilize and maintain higher education, seminars, and professional publications to remain current in profession.
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Patient Oriented.
- Excellent Communication skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Willingness to learn.
- Ability to work well with coworkers
- Be committed to the mission of the Hometown Health Center.
- Behave in a professional manner and consistently demonstrate and promote the values of respect, honesty, and dignity for the patient, families, and all members of the healthcare team.
- Committed to the constant pursuit of excellence and teamwork in improving the care of the patient and families of Hometown Health Center and the Patient Centered Medical Home Neighborhood.
- Be punctual for scheduled work and use time appropriately.
- Perform duties in a conscientious, cooperative manner.
- Perform required amount of work in a timely fashion with a minimum of errors.
- Be neat and maintain a professional appearance.
- Maintain confidentiality and protect the Practice by abiding by laws and principles related to confidentiality; keep information concerning Practice Operations, patients and employees confidential.
- This position requires compliance with Health Center’s compliance standards, including its Standards of Conduct, Compliance Program, and policies and procedures. Such compliance will be an element considered as part of the Dental Assistant's regular performance evaluation.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by the Incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for prolonged periods of time, and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, walk and use hands to operate a standard computer keyboard. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a busy dental office environment with many interruptions. Very active, fast paced position with short deadlines.
QUALIFICATIONS NEEDED FOR POSITION:
Experience and Skill Requirements: The following experience and skills are considered essential:
- At least one year of prior experience as a Dental Hygienist preferred
- Experience and skill in maintaining records and recording test results.
- Ability to interact in a pleasant and professional manner with a wide variety of professional staff and patients.
- Ability to maintain quality control standards.
- Organizational skills, ability to prioritize, and attention to detail.
Education Requirements: The following education requirements are considered essential:
Education: Successful completion of a course study recognized by the State of Maine.
Experience: Computer literacy, Experience working in dental office preferred.
Licensure: Current State of Maine license